About the Shire of Kent
The Shire of Kent is located in the Great Southern of Western Australia approx 320Km from Perth, it is made up of two towns Nyabing & Pingrup. The Shire covers approxiamtely 6,500 suqare Kms and is predominately an agricultural area with many Wheat & Sheep farmers. To find out more on the Shire of Kent Facts, Figures and Statistics follow this link Shire Statistics
Councillors are elected from both communities every two years, their role is represent the people within our Shire. To see the current Councillors serving our community follow this link Councillors.
Both communities within the Shire of Kent hold events throughout the year, please follow this link to find out more Community Calendar
Nyabing & Pingrup are both rich in local history, with Gnamma Holes, Pink Lakes, Old Schools and Landmark Sites. To see more information and some photos on these tourist locations, follow this link Places of Interest
The Shire of Kent was first established in 1923 as the Kent Road Board. In 1955 the name was changed to the Nyabing-Pingrup Road Board and retained this name in 1961 when it became a shire. The name was further altered in 1973 to the Shire of Kent.
The name 'Kent' apparently comes from the commissariat officer of Dr T. Wilson's expedition of 1829.
The first white men to visit the area were sandalwood cutters with the first lease of 2000 acres being taken around Cairlocup Lagoon by John Hassell in 1873.
The town of Pingrup was officially gazetted on May 9, 1924. The town of Nyabing was officially gazetted on December 24, 1912 after a name change from Nampup. Nyabing will be celebrating it's centenary year in 2012!
Information collected from WIKIPEDIA & ALBANY GATEWAY
It is believed that the word NYABING is from Aboriginal origin and is thought to be derived from the Aboriginal word "ne-yameng". Which is the name of an everlasting flower Helipterum manglessii.
The townsite was planned in 1911 as part of the Great Southern Railway. The name given to the siding was Nampup. The name Nampup is also of Aborginal origin and is the name of a loacal soak. Lots were surveyed later in the year and the town was gazetted in 1912. The name was changed later that year after several complaints that Nampup was too similar to the town named Nannup, so the town was renamed to Nyabing.
The name of the town is also of Aboriginal origin as are many of the rural town names in the Great Southern area. Pingrup was the name of a lake that is close to the townsite. The meaning of the word is unknown, the name first appeared on the charts of the area in 1873.
In 1923 the railway line was extended easterly from Nyabing to Pingrup and the district surveyor had had land surveyed for a townsite at the railway terminus. When the name of the railway was being decided the railways department though Pingrup was too similar to Tingerup and suggested "Geina", a name which had been used for the area around 1900. The name was not acceptable to local settlers, who proposed 'Lake Pingrup' as an alternative. However, the lands Department decided that Pingrup was a more desirable name and not too similar to Tingerup afterall.