CORONAVIRUS (COVID-19) UPDATE – 17 MARCH 2020
The Shire of Kent continues to closely monitor the growing concern about the coronavirus (COVID-19) and is taking action in accordance with the advice provided by the relevant health and government authorities.
The health and safety of our staff, emergency service volunteers, local business owners and community members is a priority. Slowing the spread of the COVID 19 is essential in order for our health system to cope in the coming months.
In such a rapidly changing environment, it is important that our community is kept informed about how the shire is responding to COVID-19 and the challenges it presents.The most effective ways to prevent the spread of the disease are to:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water.
- Clean and sanitise high touch objects such as door knobs, light switches, fridges and rails.
- Cover your mouth with a tissue or the inside of your elbow when you cough or sneeze.
- Stay at home if you or your family members feel unwell and do not go to work, school or daycare.
- Practice social distancing by leaving space between yourself and others.
- Reconsider non-essential public gatherings.
- Call ahead before attending medical appointments if you are feeling unwell or for testing.
- Self isolate for 14 days if you have returned from travelling overseas.
We are working on further measures to reduce the spread of the virus while continuing to provide services to our community. Members of the public are encouraged to:
- Use EFT to make payment of accounts (payment information is provided on notices);
- Email customer service requests instead of coming into the office
For more information please check the following websites:
- HealthyWA – https://healthywa.wa.gov.au/Articles/A_E/Coronavirus – this should be the main page to refer to as it has information on COVID clinics and current advice.
- Commonwealth Government of Health –https://www.health.gov.au/resources/collections/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-resources – contains a number of fact sheets to answer the many questions that are currently being asked by the broader community and different industries including advice for employers
- State Government Coronavirus Page – https://www.wa.gov.au/covid19 – includes the WA Government Pandemic Plan
The Shire will be providing future updates here on the website as the situation changes and members of the public are encouraged to go to www.kent.wa.gov.au for up to date information.
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER