Town planning coordinates land use and development by balancing economic, social and environmental issues. Planning legislation, policy and statutory processes guide decisions by State and local government authorities that shape communities and provide quality of life for people living in those communities.
Local governments are involved in planning for local communities by ensuring appropriate planning controls exist for land use and development. They do this by, amongst other things, preparing and administering their local planning schemes and strategies.
Local planning schemes are the principal statutory tool for achieving a local government’s aims and objectives with respect to the development of its local area and are required to be consistent with State Government planning objectives, policies and guidelines. Local planning schemes deal mainly with land use, development control and infrastructure coordination, and are formulated based on the strategic framework established in a Local Planning Strategy.
In addition to their role in development control and local planning policy setting, local government authorities are invited by the Western Australian Planning Commission (WAPC) to provide comment on applications for the subdivision and amalgamation of any land within their jurisdiction to assist the Commission’s final decision in relation to proposals of this type (i.e. local governments play an advisory role only with the WAPC being the decision making authority).
The Shire of Kent regulates all development throughout its municipal district in accordance with the requirements of Local Planning Scheme No.3, the supporting Local Planning Strategy and a number of local planning policies and local laws. These documents guide the development and use of land throughout the Shire and form the basis for all decisions made by Council.
The Shire of Kent engages the services of a professional town planner based in Perth who is available to help with any planning or development enquiries. You are encouraged to contact the Shire’s town planner when considering or formulating your proposal to ensure you are aware of the Shire’s requirements when planning your new development.
PLANNING CONTACT DETAILS
In the first instance, please direct all enquiries to the Shire’s Chief Executive Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 9851 9780.
LINKS TO KEY PLANNING DOCUMENTS AND GUIDES
- Shire of Kent Local Planning Strategy and Local Planning Scheme No.3 – https://www.wa.gov.au/government/document-collections/shire-of-kent-planning-information
- Deemed Provisions – Planning and Development (Local Planning Schemes) Regulations 2015 – https://www.wa.gov.au/government/document-collections/planning-and-development-local-planning-schemes-regulations-2015
- State Planning Framework – https://www.wa.gov.au/organisation/department-of-planning-lands-and-heritage/state-planning-framework
- State Planning Policy 3.7 – Planning in Bushfire Prone Areas – https://www.wa.gov.au/government/document-collections/state-planning-policy-37-planning-bushfire-prone-areas
- Map of Bushfire Prone Areas – https://maps.slip.wa.gov.au/landgate/bushfireprone/
- State Planning Policy 7.3 – Residential Design Codes – https://www.wa.gov.au/government/document-collections/state-planning-policy-73-residential-design-codes
- Subdivisions, Leases and Licenses (Freehold Land) – https://www.wa.gov.au/organisation/department-of-planning-lands-and-heritage/subdivisions-leases-and-licences-freehold-land-development-and-property
- Development Assessment Panels – https://www.wa.gov.au/organisation/department-of-planning-lands-and-heritage/development-assessment-panels
- Landgate Mapping – http://www0.landgate.wa.gov.au/maps-and-imagery/interactive-maps/map-viewer
APPLICATION FORMS AND GUIDES
- Development Application Checklist – Click here to view document
- Form 1 – Application for Development Approval – Click here to view document
- Form 2 – Additional Information for Development Approval for Advertisements – Click here to view document
- Adjoining Property Owners Comment Form – Click here to view document
- Application for Clearance of Subdivision Approval – Click here to view document
- Schedule of Exemptions from the Requirement for Development Approval – Click here to view document